Community, Youth and Child Services
Our services are delivered at the St John of God Waipuna Centre, a specialist community and youth agency in Christchurch.
Our services include talking therapy for young people with mental health, alcohol and drug issues, as well as eating awareness services.
Young people can access these services either as a one-off session, or as short or long term support.
We also provide group work and computer assisted therapy.
We provide community development support and advocacy, including through the below programs:
We help young people explore and develop their strengths in a supportive, yet challenging environment through outdoor adventure therapy. This is combined with mentoring and counselling support.
Our Community Development team is the coordinating agency for Community Action – Youth Drugs (CAYAD) in Canterbury. The aim of CAYAD is to develop community action initiatives that aim to reduce drug related harm in young people, as well as increasing community ownership and capacity to address this health issue.
We support young mums and dads to help them make positive parenting choices.
- Young parents to Be – pregnancy and parenting education programme delivered in partnership with Plunket. Bookings or enquiries about the Young Parents to Be programme to Plunket Pregnancy and Parenting Education via the website www.plunketppe.org.nz or by phone 0800 291 658 or text 027 275 8477.
- young parents breastfeeding support group – for young people who are breastfeeding or mixed feeding and need information and support
- infant massage instruction – run by certified infant massage instructors, this programme teaches young parents how to massage their baby to help with sleep, crying and overall health
- mellow parenting – our relationship-based parenting group aims to create a positive parent-child relationships, while also giving parents a chance to meet with others
- wait, watch and wonder – this family intervention program is for parents with babies or toddlers and is focused on helping create warm, loving and secure relationships between parents and their children.
We also offer a drivers licence preparation programme, and a nutritional cooking program to help young parents cook health meals on a budget.
Early childhood education
Little Owls Preschool offers early-childhood education with high teacher to child ratios in both a nursery and pre-school setting. Centrally located for families in Avonside, and Wainoni, Linwood, Bexley, Dallington and Phillipstown, we engage all children in a range of learning experiences.
We look after children from birth to two years of age in our nursery, and children two to five years of age in our pre-school area.
Find out more: Tel: (03) 373 8136
St John of God Hauora Trust's Child Protection Policy helps ensure the safety and protection of children. The policy provides guidelines for our caregivers to ensure correct and effective processes are in place when there are concerns for the safety or wellbeing of children.
Refer to us
Tel: 03 386 2159
Where our service is offered